Monday 28 November 2016

Leonard Cohen: Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967)


Songs Of Leonard Cohen

Often when buying something like an album or a book, it’s not unusual to think to yourself, I hope I enjoy this, because if I don’t I will have wasted my money. However, as I looked into the eyes of Leonard Cohen on the front cover of his first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, I knew without any doubt that if I bought it I would enjoy it. I have no idea why this was – I was not familiar with Leonard Cohen’s music at all, the only song of his I knew being the frequently-covered ‘Hallelujah’. I did know that he had recently passed away, and that I had been sad to hear of his death, again despite not knowing a thing about the man or his music. And yet here I was, buying his album, certain that I would enjoy it. Happily, I did.

Since then I have learned that Leonard Cohen was already established as a poet and author before embarking on his musical career; his poetic skill carried over into his lyrics, which are filled with rich imagery and deft turns of phrase. His voice is intense and deep and rarely rises above a whisper, forcing you to ignore whatever else you are doing to devote all of your attention to the songs (this probably isn’t the best album to listen to while driving). The instrumentation on the album is also fantastic, and credit must go to producer John Simon for garnishing Cohen’s vocals and superb acoustic guitar playing with minimalist snatches of unusual instruments that perfectly compliment both the singer and the songs.

Despite all of that, it’s the songs that really make the album. The standard is consistently high, but my favourites would have to be ‘So Long, Marianne’, with its happy female backing vocals during the chorus; the austere ‘Master’s Song’; and the lilting, lullaby-like ‘Sisters of Mercy’, which has a lovely melody of the kind you might find yourself humming absent-mindedly days later.


I don’t know what compelled me to pick up this album, but I am really glad I did; it’s hypnotically beautiful. I am glad to have made Leonard Cohen’s acquaintance and look forward to getting to know him more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ed McBain: Killer's Wedge (1959) and Money Money Money (2001)

  Thanks to the book exchange at my local train station (I owe them a lot of books), I recently discovered crime writer Ed McBain. Re...